At Wolverham we have a Connected Curriculum which is a thematic approach to teaching from the 2014 National Curriculum.
This was designed by our school staff in consultation with an external consultant. The majority of subjects are taught through this thematic approach except for maths, Religious Education, languages and citizenship. We aim to link with our thematic teaching whenever possible. Please click on the overviews at the bottom of this page to find out more.
Aims And Objectives
We believe that children learn in different ways. We provide a rich and varied learning experience that allows children to develop their skills and abilities to their full potential.
Through our teaching we:
- enable children to become confident, resourceful, enquiring and independent learners
- foster children’s self-esteem and help them build positive relationships with other people
- develop children’s self-respect and encourage children to respect the ideas, attitudes, values and feelings of others
- show respect for all cultures and, in so doing, to promote positive attitudes towards other people
- enable children to understand their community and help them feel valued as part of this community
- help children grow into reliable, independent and positive citizens.
At Wolverham our teachers challenge and inspire. We demand the very best from our learners. We have excellent subject knowledge and are competent and confident in teaching phonics and other basic skills including reading, writing, computing and maths.
Our teachers use a variety of interactive teaching methods to enable all pupils to learn effectively.
We assess pupils’ work and use assessments to help and encourage pupils to overcome difficulties and to inform next steps. Clear learning objectives are used in all lessons and pupil self-assess against the learning objectives.
Targets for maths, writing and reading and are assessed and reviewed regularly and children have ownership of their targets.
Additional information can be obtained by reading the following documents/policies (found in the Information tab under ‘School Policies’):
Special Educational Needs (SEN) Policy
English as an additional language (EAL) Policy
Connected Curriculum Policy
Teaching and Learning Policy